All drivers want to pay affordable rates for their car insurance. Still, you often can't control many of the factors that go into determining your rates. However, you can take some of the cost management in your own hands. To qualify for better policy costs, you can often tap into various discounts. Many insurers offer these lower premium costs because you present a smaller risk to them. How do you know when to ask for rate discounts?
Discounts can help driver and every insurance customer can often qualify for a few. However, it is up to you to know when to look out for the opportunity.
What Is An Insurance Discount?
Insurers use various factors to determine how much they will charge for your auto policy. If you prove a more dangerous risk to insure, you'll probably pay more for your coverage. However, if you prove a lower insurance risk, they'll charge you less. Those with the lowest risk are typically the ones who qualify for discounts.
Discounts are rate reductions that you qualify for because you have lower risks. Other drivers who have higher risks might not get these perks. So, consider the discount a reward you can receive for being a reliable insurance customer.
What Discounts Can You Get?
Most auto insurers will offer discounts. Yet, the type and amount of rate reduction will vary from insurer to insurer. Some of the savings you might find include:
- Accident-Free Discounts: This awards a lower rate to drivers who have not had any accidents for a certain period of time. Some discounters also call this a claims-free discount because you have not made any claims on your policy.
- Payment Discounts: Depending on your payment plan, you may qualify for reduced rates. For example, if you pay your annual premium in a lump sum, you may get a rate reduction.
- Vehicle Security Savings: If you have certain security features on your vehicle, such as an anti-theft system or anti-lock brakes, you might get a discount. This is the case because these features make your vehicle safer.
- Bundled Policies: Those who buy their auto insurance and other policies from the same company often find savings.
- Driver Safety Discounts: You can receive a discount if you take driver training or defensive driving courses.
- Affiliation Savings: This provides discounts to drivers who are members of professional organizations, the military or other groups.
Keep in mind, these are not the only discounts available, and they might run the gamut of benefits. When getting your policy, ask your A-Z Express Insurance agent what you can do to qualify for maximum savings. They will be happy to look for the coverage that offers the best benefits for you. In the end, your wallet will thank you.